Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Tony & Marianne Backhouse come to visit


We had our buddies Tony B and Marianne come all the way from Sydney to visit. We showed them a whoooosh-by tour of South Norfolk & North Suffolk. Our favourite cheese shop at Eye for some Stinking Bishop and to introduce them to the Norfolk Terrier.

Wyken Vineyard for lunch...

We corralled them into joining us to sing in the choir at the Church nearby at Rushford. As you can see from this photo, I am now an old Bat (third from right) with a lot more chins than I should have. (Just thought I'd put it in so you can tell I'm not vain). Hell if I'm gonna look bad so should they.



Marianne made us "trespass" into an amazing Stately Pile nearby at Shadwell Estate. Occasionally Ricardo & I have been game enough to drive through the gates & admire the building from a distance but because Marianne is braver than us we went right up to the building which is actually falling down, with slates off the roof & windows broken. It had a fence up & cctv cameras everywhere. Boy it's amazing though. Abandoned & ghostly. Should go back for Halloween really. I must have counted 30 or 40 pheasants.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys,

That's a real shame about Shadwell Court...home of the Buxton family (who donated the five bells to Brettenham and the six bells to Rushford) and later home to the Musker family. I went there for mince pies and mulled wine in 1990 and it was wonderful. How things change!
Jem

JoeyJoJo said...

I thought maybe we could make a squat there. We could have a wing each. Start a gigantic mince pie making kitchen too.

Anonymous said...

I like the sound of that... Bafta would be well occupied CATching mice (except she could not CATch a cold) and there'd obviously be a library to keep the books!